How to Change Your Zoom Background in 8 Easy Steps
Video conferencing has become the new normal for those lucky enough to work from home or take online classes during the quarantine.
According to Google, searches for Zoom, a popular video conferencing app and including "how to host zoom meetings," have increased considerably over the last few months.
The Zoom video conferencing app is the new leader in modern enterprise video communications. It provides an easy and reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing.
It's impossible to talk about Zoom without talking about their most popular feature - the free virtual backgrounds.
You may have seen someone in your group do something fun with their background, like making it seem as if they're swimming in the ocean or floating in outer space.
Zoom virtual backgrounds are great if you want to have some fun, or your room is messy. It also a great hack for people who don’t like sharing their personal space.
In today’s article we will be sharing with you a step-by-step guide on how to change your background and navigate some of the key Zoom tools. To make Zoom virtual backgrounds glitch free, check out The Backdrop green screen!
How to change your Zoom background
- Open your web browser to at zoom.us then go to settings to “Enable Virtual Backgrounds
- After you’ve enabled, open Zoom on your desktop or browser
- Join or create a new meeting
- In the meeting, you’ll see an option at the bottom left corner to “Stop Video”. Don’t click on it, click on the upward arrow to the right that looks like this "^".
- Once you clicked on the arrow, you will see an option to "Choose virtual background”," click on that option.
- It will then take you to a new window in "Settings" where you can choose from a default background or upload your own.
- Click the "+" on the right of the video screen in the "Settings" window to upload your own background. This will give you the option to upload your own background into Zoom.
- Choose your image and click Open
There are no size restrictions when adding your own virtual backgrounds. But according to the article on zoom support they recommend using a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Zoom Support also recommends using a solid color background to achieve the best virtual background. To which I’ll advise that you invest in a good zoom screen like The Backdrop Portable Webcam Green Screen from Remote.
Also check out The Backdrop stand for holding up your backdrop
Always remember to upload high-quality pictures, make use of adequate lighting, and try not to wear clothing that matches your virtual background of choice!
How to apply a touch-up filter
Now if you don’t have time to do your makeup or shower before your call, stop fretting – Zoom has a filter for that!
According to the Zoom site The "Touch Up My Appearance" option retouches your video to display a soft focus. This helps in evening skin tones to present a more polished appearance.
- Log on to Zoom on your desktop or browser
- Click the gear icon on the homepage to find "Settings"
- If you’re already in a meeting, find the "^" next to "Stop Video" and click "Video Settings"
- Click on "Touch Up My Appearance," and check the box to turn on the filter
— Casey Jennings, Marketing Associate